Get Involved, LHNA Needs You!
All residents of the Lowry Hill neighborhood who are age 16 and older are members of the Lowry Hill Neighborhood Association (LHNA).
Lowry Hill is enclosed by Interstate 394 on the north, Interstate 94/Hennepin Avenue on the east, 22nd Street on the south and Lake of the Isles Parkway, Logan Avenue and Morgan Avenue on the west. See map.
LHNA is a donation based organization and relies on your financial support to fund programs, events, and advocacy for the Lowry Hill neighborhood. Your contribution is needed for operational support and for key projects such as:
- Environmental: Flowers and maintenance at Thomas Lowry Park, and the Fremont Triangle.
- Social: The annual Ice Skating Social and Ice Cream Social
- Communication: Website maintenance, emails, ads and mailings to all Lowry Hill residents
- Crime & Safety: printing and distribution of crime alert flyers when significant crime occurs in the neighborhood
- Advocacy: Neighborhood surveys
Monthly board meetings are held the first Tuesday of each month from 7-9 PM at the Kenwood Recreation Center. We encourage residents to attend to learn more about what's happening in Lowry Hill and the surrounding neighborhood. The board does not meet in July and August.
Volunteer or Run for a Seat on the Board
LHNA has an active group of 15 board members. Board members are volunteers who serve a 2 year term. Elections are held at the annual meeting in May. Residents can also volunteer to help on a committee without running for a board seat.
Board members will typically work on a project during their term. Past projects have included
- Planning, irrigation and landscaping of the Douglas median
- Organizing an annual neighborhood garage sale
- Installation of a sidewalk in Kenwood Park
- Creating new events for residents like walking tours of Lake of the Isles and Lowry Hill
- Partnering with the Hennepin Avenue business district
- Neighborhood initiatives like "Know Your Neighbor"
- Creating a campaign like "Leave a Light On"
- Rebuilding the website to a new platform and improve ease of use
- Working to make the Ice Cream Social a no waste/low waste event
- Working with Minneapolis Park Board and City Councilors
- Writing content for the website and local newspaper
- Creating email newsletters for Lowry Hill residents
- Advocating for tree plantings in the neighborhood
- Monitoring zoning and planning, alerting the board to issues
- Helping another neighborhood organization like Friends of Thomas Lowry Park for the Seven Pools reconstruction
"I feel much more connected to people in the neighborhood since I've served on the board," said Janet Hallaway, former LHNA President. "One of the most rewarding things has been getting to know a whole new group of people and now counting those people as good friends".
Volunteer for a Committee or Event
We welcome your participation on any of our committees: Crime & Safety, Environment, Communications, Zoning & Planning, and Fundraising & Events.
LHNA hosts regular social events. Help out for an hour or two, working side by side with your neighbors. Events include annual meeting, ice cream social, annual ice skating party and more!
Contact us if you'd like to volunteer.