About the Trees Program
In the past 17 years, the City Trees program has provided approximately 20,000 trees for planting on private property. Since 2006, the City of Minneapolis has funded the City Trees program, a low-cost way for folks to help the city’s tree canopy grow and enjoy all the benefits of trees.
Trees help filter pollutants out of the air and reduce the heat island effect in a city. They save energy by providing shade in the summer and protecting against wind in the winter. Trees reduce the amount of stormwater runoff into lakes and rivers. They even help reduce stress. Larger trees provide more benefits than smaller trees.
Trees available for $30
Minneapolis property owners will soon be able to order 5- to 8-foot trees for $30 each to plant on their private property. Minneapolis property owners in Green Zones, rental property owners and property owners who haven’t ever gotten a tree in the City Trees program will get a chance to order a tree earlier. New this year: two trees can be ordered per property.
The 1,500 trees in 30 varieties this year include large and medium shade trees, fruit trees, evergreens and flowering trees. Comparable trees cost about $125 at a nursery.
Tiered purchasing windows
- Green Zones property owners can order up to three trees starting at 8 a.m. Monday, March 7.
- Rental property owners citywide can order their trees for a maximum of five properties starting at 8 a.m. Wednesday, March 16. They just fill out a separate order for each property.
- Minneapolis property owners who haven’t ever received a tree from the Minneapolis tree sale, who aren’t in a Green Zone, can order their trees starting at 8 a.m. Wednesday, March 16.
- All Minneapolis property owners can order two trees per address starting at 8 a.m. Wednesday, March 23.
Purchasing will close April 15 or when the trees run out, whichever is first.
- Low-cost trees are available first-come, first-served.
- People will pick up their trees May 21, 22 or 23 (subject to change). Location is to be determined and will be emailed to people who bought a tree. Volunteers onsite will help load each new tree and a complimentary bag of mulch into vehicles on request.
Find more information and order your trees through Tree Trust.